Did you receive an Identity Verification Letter?

Have you received a letter from the Illinois Department of Revenue (IDOR) asking you to verify your identity? If so, please look at the following FAQs:

1. Why is the IDOR sending me this letter?

They want to protect you and your identity. This is a safety procedure to prevent someone from using your identity to file a false tax return.


2. Why was my return selected for additional review?

When you file a tax return using your Social Security Number (SSN) or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN), the IDOR wants to verify your information to ensure you are the individual who filed this return.


3. What should I do if I receive an Identity Verification letter?

Respond to your identity verification letter in MyTax Illinois without having to create a MyTax Illinois account. Please follow the specific instructions in your letter.


4. What should I do if I did not file this return?

  • Go to illinois.gov
  • Scroll down to the section titled: “Identity Verification.”
  • Select the Identity Verification Code
  • Select “No, I did not file this return and need to report identity theft.”
  • Enter your contact information.
  • Click Submit


5. I did not verify my identity by the due date. What should I do?

You must submit two required documents to verify your identity – one from each category listed below, within 60 days of the date of this letter.

Category 1: Submit one document that has your photograph and full name:

  • Illinois driver’s license (current or expired less than one year)
  • Driver’s license from any other state (current)
  • State identification card
  • Passport
  • Military identification
  • Government issued photo identification
  • S. high school, college, or university photo ID
  • Employee photo ID card with recent payroll stub
  • Valid Photo ID of 3rd Party Designee


Category 2: Submit one document that has your full name and complete address used on the tax return filed:

  • Utility bill (gas, electric, cable, cell phone, etc.)
  • Bank statement
  • Payroll stub or W-2
  • Property tax bill
  • Rental agreement (signed by landlord and renter)
  • College or university transcript
  • Insurance policy (vehicle, homeowners, renters, health, life)
  • Credit card statement
  • Death Certificate
  • Birth Certificate


You may submit the documents:

  1. Electronically – Go to IDOR website: MyTax.illinois.gov, scroll down to the section titled “Identity Verification”, select the Identity Verification Documents link, enter your Letter ID, and follow the instructions.

Note: Submitting your information electronically will result in a quicker and more secure process. However, if you do not have a Letter ID, you must submit your documents by mail.

  1. By mail – send a copy of the letter (or Form IL-425 if you do not have the letter) and copies of the required documents to

PO BOX 19049
SPRINGFIELD, IL 62794-9049


Warning: Do NOT mail original documents; they accept copies.


6. I do not have access to a computer, or I am having difficulty verifying my identity electronically. What should I do?

Follow the instructions under the question “I did not verify my identity by the due date. What should I do?” for submitting documents to verify your identity by mail.


For more information: please go to the IDOR website: https://tax.illinois.gov/individuals/identity-verification-letters-information.html


If you have any questions regarding verifying your identity, please contact your accountant at Scheffel Boyle or the Illinois Department of Revenue at (800)732-8866.